Tuesday, May 7, 2013

School Fundraisers


 


We have about 2 weeks of school left for the 2012/2013 school year. As anyone with kids know, it is a very busy time of year. We have testing, end of the season parties and awards banquets for extra curricular activities, last minute end of the year field trips, honors programs, and the task of trying to figure out how to keep the kid-o's busy during summer break so you don't have to listen to those dreaded "I"M SO BOARD COMMENTS".
The very last thing I have time for is to beg and plead with my friends and family for money for a school fund raiser. My husband absolutely hates them and hates even more when I ask him to take them to work and bother his co-workers for money. I know the school needs money for PTA and the different things they do for our school...but this is not the time of year for it. Further-more, I don't like how they have offer the kids "prizes" for selling specific amounts of this stuff. The prizes are usually crap and I usually end up having to buy the crap that is being sold just so my child can get the piece of junk prize.
This particular fundraiser is to raise money for The American Heart Association. And there is a picture of a little girl at the bottom telling you how thankful she is for this foundation. How the heck am I going to say no now?! That is exactly why she was put on the flyer, because someone knew there'd be a sucker like me that would have her heartstrings tugged at.
I have a solution to all this fundraising stuff. Parents should be asked to make a donation at the beginning of the school year and let that be that. I would donate just so I wouldn't have to hear my child nag me about why I forgot to do her fundraiser and how she'll be the only kid in her class who wont get a prize. I say let's just put an end to fundraising, or at least the promise of the stupid prizes.
 
Today's recipe is one my Grandmother shared with me many years ago.
 
 Crock pot BBQ pork chops. Hope you enjoy.
 
6 bone-in pork chops. You want thick ones.
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Spray your crock pot with cooking spray. mix salt, pepper and garlic powder and sprinkle each chop with it. Place chops in crock pot. (they can overlap it wont matter) pour sauce over top of chops and add water, beer or wine to BBQ sauce bottle to 1/2 full, shake it up and pour it on top. Put the lid on and cook on high for 1 hour then turn to low and continue to cook for 3 -4 more hours.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment